This has been a pretty interesting year, with lots for me to be proud of. Let’s run down some of my achievements, in no particular order:
- Moving downtown. I’d been meaning to do this for a few years but never got off my ass until this spring. Living in the boonies was nice enough, my place was relatively cheap, but PoCo was very isolating and inconvenient in so many ways. You may recall I whined about it a couple of times. I had to get out of the ‘burbs for the sake of my sanity.
- Landing a job at WebTech Wireless. In the two years since being laid off by Cayenta, the jobs I took either weren’t that exciting, didn’t pay too well, or didn’t offer any long-term advancement opportunities. But this one has real potential, both in the short term and for my career. It’s challenging, exhausting, often intimidating, and that’s exactly what I need.
- Redesigning the VGVA Web site. Oh yeah, I was insecure about my abilities, but it turned out smashing (if I do say so myself). Not just that, but it was the first step to getting reconnected with the queer community, using skills I’ve developed over the years.
- And while we’re at it, helping two other friends set up their sites. And volunteering to maintain the Team Vancouver site. Are we seeing a pattern yet? One day I may even get paid for it.
- My brush with the Grim Reaper. Okay, not technically an achievement, but it was still a memorable event. Healing nicely, though my wrist gets a bit sore in the morning and I still need to tape it up for volleyball.
- Finishing Les Misérables, over the holidays. And it only took, what, eight or nine months, give or take?
- Updating my blog to WordPress and my photo galleries to Gallery, in January. Has it really only been a year?
Here’s to 2009!